“Sepak” is the Malay word for kick and “takraw” is the Thai word for a woven ball, therefore sepak takraw to kick ball. The name was given for the sport after an agreement between Malaysia and Thailand, the two major forces of the sport. Variations of this were played in other Southeast Asian countries too; in Thailand it was called "Takraw", in the Philippines, "Sepa Sepa", in Myanmar, "Ching Loong", in Indonesia, "Rago" and in Laos, "Kator".
Earliest historical evidence shows that the game was played in the 15th century’s Malacca Sultanate. The Malay Annals described in the incident of Raja Muhammad, son of Sultan Mansur Shah who was accidentally hit with a rattan ball by Tun Besar, son of Tun Perak, in a sepak raga game.
In Bangkok, murals at Wat Phra Kaeo, which was built in 1785, depict the Hindu god Hanuman playing sepak takraw in a ring with a troop of monkeys.At first, the game remained in its circle form and the players played keepie-uppies unlike the format now that is almost similar with Volleyball.
The modern version of sepak takraw is competitive and took shape in Thailand almost 200 years ago.
In 1829, the Siam Sports Association created the first rules for the game. Four years later, the association introduced the volleyball-style net and held the first public contest.
By the 1940s, the net version of the game had spread throughout Southeast Asia, and formal rules were introduced. This sport became officially known as ‘sepak takraw’.
International tournaments are now governed by ISTAF, the International Sepak Takraw Federation. The King’s Cup World Championships is held every year in Thailand and it is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the Sepak Takraw circuit.
CHARACTERISTICS OF "SEPAK RAGA"
- The Takraw ball is made of rattan stems or very hard plastic.
- A ball weighs approximately 250 grams.
|Original Rattan Ball|
|Modern Synthetic Ball|
HOW TO PLAY
- In takraw game, some players stand up and form a circle.
- The game begins with one player tossing the ball to his hand. A voice will fondle the ball with his foot once or several times, before kicking it towards other players.
- Players who form the circle or circles must take turns fondle the ball and control it from falling to the ground. If the ball is dropped, the game in the round ended.
- This game requires agility and physical efficiency and sharpness of eye to measure movement. The goal of each player is to boost the skills to take delivery of sport and fondle ball comfortably as long as possible.
- Game duration is not specified except in the competition which is usually organized as a team event. Successful teams make the most nicknames in a given period is calculated to win.
- At this time there is no longer played sepak raga, it has changed the name to sepak takraw. Sepak takraw snitch two teams separated by a net, as in badminton.
- Sepak takraw team consists of three players.Skipper to kick start and control the back court. Surround left and right to control the front of the wedge ring and take on the main task of turning off the ball in a tennis opponent.
The objectives of playing congkak is to get rid of all the seeds by moving them across over your enemy while placing each of your seed or marbles into your own house or pit. The games end where the winner either the one with the most seeds in his or her house or the first to empty his row of holes.
1. Congkak boards
Batu Seremban/ Batu
It is was a historical and heritage kind of traditional game, unique and differ. The game was inherited from the great grand generation of descendants before world of civilisation.
The games was believed to be found and practiced in popular area of Malaya(Malaysia), Philippines and all part of Malaya and Indonesia and also the surrounding islands, Palau(Pulau), Micronesian, far east pacific islands; Vanuatu, Tuvala, Fiji, Cococs Island, Guam and so on Southern Asia plate and Indian continent, Indochina and northern pacific area, by Burma, Laos and Cambodia aborigines.
The game also being played by Inuit and Eskimo in Northern part of Canada, east and west Siberia and Shakalin Island, where the evidence was found in southern and eastern part of Africa, played by nomadic, Taureg and Badwin, Central America by Inca and Maya inhabitant, by the Red Indian on top of Andes plattue of southern America, Chile, Bolivia and Peru tribes.
- How to Play Batu Seremban
Throw all 5 stones. Whilst throwing a stone, pick up 1 stone and catch the stone in the air before it falls to the ground. Do this for each of the stones on the ground.
Repeat step 1 but pick up 2 stones at a time.
Repeat step 1 but pick up a combination of 3 stones and 1.
Throw all 5 stones. Pick up 4 stones whilst 1 stone is in the air and catch the later before it falls to the ground.
Whilst throwing 1 stone, place the 4 on the ground. Throw 1 stone up again and catch it whilst picking all 4 stones on the ground.
Throw all 5 stones on the ground. The opponent selects a stone to be thrown in the air. The player has to pick this stone without moving any others. The player throws the stone in the air and picks the remaining on the ground in one clean sweep.
*To learn and understand more on how to play batu seremban, you can watch this video. It will show you different style ofof how you can play batu seremban for different round. Interesting, isn't it?
The aim of playing this game is to throw one of the stones one at a time and sweeping another on the floor all together catching the one you threw earlier on. This game continues to advance stages where the game gets complicated.
|In China, old folks playing their version of Batu Seremban using animal bones.|
This game was played using 5 or 7 pieces of objects usually made of small stone, beads, fruits seeds, beans, nut or nutshell, or even bones and (originally) hard wood but not these days. Today, they already improvised using marble or small bags of sand/stone or beans. It depends on the players to choose what kind of objects they wanted to used.
|Small stones were used back days to play congkak, but today there are many kind of other objects that already being improvised to use as an objects to play Batu Seremban|
Also known as sepak raga, is a traditional ball game where the ball that was made by weaving strips of buluh or bamboo, is passed on using any part of the body except lower arms and hands. There are 2 main types of sepak takraw; bulatan(circle) and jaring(net). Sepak raga bulatan originated form in which players form a circle and try to keep the ball in the air for as long as possible while sepak takraw jaring is the modern version in which the ball is passed across a court over a high net. Sepak takraw is widely known. But different country called sepak takraw with different name.
Malaysia = Sepak Raga
Philippines = Sipa
Singapore = Sepak Raga or Sepraga
Thailand = Takraw
Brunei = Sepak Raga Jala
Burma = Ching Loong
Indonesia = Rago (South Sulawesi)
Laos = Kator
Takraw was originated in South-East Asia. It was thought that Thai and Malay people played the game as far back the 15th century. It was recorded that the game existed in Wat Phra Kaew (temple serves as a resting place for the Emerald Buddha). This temple in Bangkok(Thailand), contains paintings portraying he Hindu god, Hanuman, playing takraw in a ring with a troop of monkeys. Other historical recorded that the game being played during the reign of King Naresuan (1590-1605).
However, they are many lies and debate existed in this history where many other countries also claiming it as their own. Some also believes that it was practiced from the same game played by the Chinese military that was thought to have spread through trade with China.
· 1. Sepak Takraw is basically foot badminton/volleyball.
2. Played on a similar court to doubles badminton, with the server serving in the middle of the back half of the court.
· 3. Having served (volley kicked) a throw from the net by a team mate, the ball must then travel over the net to begin play.
· 4. The opposing team will then try to volley the ball back over the net into the oppositions court.
· 5. Each team may have as many as three touches between themselves, but in order to win a point, the ball must land in the oppositions court, if it lands outside, it will be the opposing teams point.
· 6. Points are played up to 21.. Unless a 20-21 score line is archived, then you must win by two clear points.
These are the basic rules to get you on track to play Takraw in the official way (see below for more comprehensive rules), we also encourage all kinds of practice as it will make you a more versatile player, try out tricks, make up new games, and play Original Takraw (The variation where a circle of people keep the Takraw in the air)
- Area of 13.4m x 6.1m free from all obstacles up to the height of 8m measured from the floor surface (sand and grass court not advisable).
- The width of the lines bounding the court should not be more than 0.04m measured and drawn inwards from the edge of the court measurements. All the boundary lines should be drawn at least 3.0m away from all obstacles.
- The Centre Line : The Centre line of 0.02m should be drawn equally dividing the right and left court.
- The Quarter Circle : At the corner of each at the Centre Line, the quarter circle shall be drawn from the side-line to the Centre Line with a radius of 0.9m measured and drawn outwards from the edge of the 0.9m radius.
- The Service Circle : The Service Circle of 0.3m radius shall be drawn on the left and on the right court, the centre of which is 2.45m from the back line of the court and 3.05m from the side-lines, the 0.04m line shall be measured and drawn outward from the edge of the 0.3m radius.
Video on how you can practice sepak takraw at your home.
The player who kicks a serve surely puts a leg (shaft foot) in the service circle, and takes a toss from the player who went into the quoter circle (the semicircle of a radius 90 cm done around the contact point of the centre line and the side-line), and kicks the ball.
When a game begins by one serve, a ball can be touched by the attack of one time to three times. You can use a head, a back, legs, and anywhere except for the arm from the shoulder to the point of the finger.
There are 2 kinds of balls of the thing that the thing edited in the stem of 9-11 rotten, and the shape was imitated with the plastic and which was made. A ball made of the plastic is being used as an official ball from the 11th Beijing Asian convention.
The weight of the ball is 170g-190g, and the size of it is a perimeter 40cm, and there is a hole of 12 in it. It is much smaller than a handball, a little bigger than a softball.
The player jumps as much as his height in the high state and a ball is struck by the spike like acrobatics and hatched. The speed is said as about 140km per hour, an air battle has soothing fully.
*To watch on the best killer in the history of sepak takraw, click on this link ---> The Best Killer in the World
Is a giant spinning top that weighs approximately 5kg or 10lbs and may be large as dinner plate. The game usually played traditionally before the rice harvest season. The player requires strengths, co-ordination and skill to play this game. The top is set spinning by unfolding rope that has been wound around it. Then, it is scooped off the ground, whilst still spinning, using bat with a centre slit and transferred onto a low post with a mental receptacle. If the expertly hurled, it can spin for up to 2 hours.
Gasing or top spinning is split into two (2) categories. One is for ornamental purposes and while the other is for playing.
The gasing or top usually made of wood or hard fruits. It comes together with string that was tightly wound round a nail at the base of the top. There are five different shapes of tops; 1)plate-shaped, 2)heart-shaped, 3) hat top, 4) egg-shaped and 4) berembang-shaped. Berembang is a fruit of a seaside tree.
There is no fixed number of players and the game can be played either teams or individually. Firstly, a circle is drawn on the ground marking a circumstance within the top is to spin. Then, a player holds the top in his hand and grips the loose end of the string between the fingers and throws it in the circle while at the same time pulls the string backwards that sends the top into a spinning action.
A Gasing or top spinning contest basically a friendly games where normally it have two (2) kinds of matches.
The first is the "spinning contest" and the second one is called the "striking match". The "Spinning contest", is where someone that can spin his top for the longest time wins the match. Once the top has been launched, the top is carefully scooped off the ground using a thin wooden bat. Then, it will be transferred to a little wooden surface and left to spin for as long as possible. The trick here is to ensure that the top doesn't topple during the transit. Tough it may seem unbelievably so, the current record stands at two hours.
The "striking match" is far more exhilarating than the first. You won't need to stand there for hours watching a top spin and spin and spin. The "striking match" is as the name suggests. Each contestant must try to hit their opponent's tops so that the already spinning tops will topple and loses its balance and speed.
Video on how to play Gasing
Till then, bye... Thank you for reading this blog! (: