U Of I Dorm Assignments

Frequently Asked Questions - New Student Room Selection

Return to Apply Now page 

Click on your question below:

Are freshman and transfers required to live on campus?

All students that are classified as freshman by Admissions are required to live in certified housing. Learn more about the almost 40 halls you can choose from within certified housing. Transfer students also have the option to choose to live in the Transfer Community in Scott Hall (Ikenberry South), in the graduate upper-division halls, or Ashton Woods apartments. 

We guarantee housing for all new students.

What are the main steps of room selection?

Residence hall room selection is a two-step process.

  1. Complete a University Housing contract online by 11:59 p.m. CST on May 15, 2017 (make sure you have your Enterprise ID and password ready before applying). During this first step you will provide contact information, list your location preferences (see below for more information), optionally list a roommate, and pay the advance payment and application fee. If you complete your contract by this priority deadline (May 15), in late May you will be assigned a random entry time to choose your room.
  2. When your self-selection entry time arrives, log back in to your contract and choose a space from available rooms across campus. You will also choose a meal plan at this stage. You can return to the online system and make changes from the beginning of your entry time until the process closes in June.

If you miss the May 15 priority deadline, University Housing will pick a room and roommate for you based on the available spaces preferences you provide in the online contract system.

How are entry times scheduled?

Entry times for self-selection are randomly assigned to those students who have completed a contract prior to the May 15 priority deadline.

We schedule entry times so they occur during our normal business hours. We will also offer extended business hours from May 22, 2017 to May 26, 2017 (Monday-Friday), 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST) to provide customer service in the evenings. Please note that the university is closed for Memorial Day on Monday, May 29, 2017, but we will reopen with regular business hours on Tuesday, May 30 (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).

Why does the contract ask for location preferences?

Selecting locations preferences allow you to preference Living-Learning Communities (LLC) and complete the application essay for any of the communities you apply for. It will also allow you to locate and preference Special Living Options. If you are interested in one of our LLCs or Special Living Options, be sure to preference it and submit your contract by the May 15 priority deadline.

If you miss the May 15 priority deadline and don't have the opportunity to choose the specific building and room you like during phase 2 self-selection, University Housing will assign you to a space based on the preferences you provide and the spaces remaining in the inventory.

How do I select an individual hall?

Only students who complete the contract by the May 15 priority deadline can select a specific hall and room. Once you submit your contract, you will be given an entry time to log on to the system and choose your hall and room.

Our contract asks that you preference neighborhood locations to give us flexibility if we have to assign your space should you not meet the May 15 priority deadline or you do not participate in the self-selection process.

Can I preference a single room?

We have a limited number of singles in our inventory, so we don't include the ability to preference a single room within the contract. Once you are in phase 2 self-selection, you can look for available single rooms and place yourself in that space if one is available.

If you believe you require a single room due to a documented disability-related condition, you will need to register with Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) in addition to submitting your housing contract. Please make sure to note your request within the online housing contract.

How does roommate selection work?

You will be able to tell us your roommate preferences during anytime during the process.

Know your roommate already? Indicate your roommate preference on the contract before May 15 and you'll be assigned the same entry time to pick your room.

Don't have a roommate yet? You can search for a compatible roommate within the contract system. 

If you and your mutually requested roommate want to live together in a Living-Learning Community, both of you must list the LLC among your preferences in step one of the contract in order to be able to do so.

Which halls have air conditioning?

Oglesby & Trelease (FAR); Busey-Evans; Townsend & Wardall (ISR); Blaisdell & Saunders (PAR); and Bousfield, Nugent, Scott, Hopkins, Snyder, Wassaja, and Weston Halls (Ikenberry Commons). You can search for this and other amenities on our Compare Options page.

Which halls have loftable furniture?

Allen; Busey-Evans; Oglesby & Trelease (FAR); Townsend & Wardall (ISR); Leonard & Shelden (LAR); Babcock, Blaisdell, Carr, & Saunders (PAR); and Bousfield, Hopkins, Nugent, Scott, Snyder, and Wassaja Halls (Ikenberry Commons). You can search for this and other amenities on our Compare Options page.

Is it important to live in a location near my major?

As a first year student, you will be in classrooms all over the Main Quad as you complete your General Education requirements. All of our halls are located within walking distance of the Main Quad. We encourage you to focus more on community and amenities when selecting your hall, rather than location. Use the Compare Options tool to find halls with the amenities that are important to you. Make sure to consider the Living-Learning Communities and Special Living Options too. Don't forget, bus stops are located just steps from each of the halls and students ride the MTD buses for free. 

How do I select a Special Living Option? 

If you are interested in one of our Special Living Options, be sure to choose it as one of your preferences by May 15. 

Special Living Options include:

If you wish to live in one of these special options listed above, it is important that you choose it as a preference in the contract. If you do not list one of these options as a preference at the time of completing your contract, you will not be able to choose available rooms in these locations during room selection.

The rest of the Special Living Options (not listed above) may be chosen during your entry time in step 2 of the room selection process, as long as rooms are available.

How do I select a Living-Learning Community (LLC)?

If you wish to live in one of our Living-Learning Communities, your first step is to complete your contract and choose the LLC in your preferences. You will also need to complete an essay for the LLC. The LLC staff will review each essay and make a decision regarding acceptance into the community. Please note: completing these steps does not guarantee a spot in the LLC.

If you have preferenced a Living-Learning Community, completed the necessary steps, and are approved to be part of a community, on May 20 you will be assigned an early entry time to select a room within the community you have been accepted into. If you wish to select a room in a Living-Learning Community, it is essential that you do so from May 23-24. If you miss this window, it is possible that you may not get a room in the LLC.

If you miss the LLC special entry days, you will be given the opportunity to choose a space from the rest of University Housing's available rooms, including any remaining LLC spaces. 

If you choose a room in a LLC during the this time, it does not mean you are "locked in." You may still browse for other available rooms and may choose to move to another open room if you wish. 

How do I sign up for the Honors Living-Learning Community?

You must be a James Scholar or part of the Campus Honors Program to see available spaces for the Honors LLC. If you are a James Scholar or in the Campus Honors Program, please follow the LLC application instructions as listed in the question above.

Are gender-inclusive options available?

University Housing aims to provide a safe, welcoming home for students of all identities. We are eager to help you find a community! Visit our gender-inclusive options page or talk to our friendly staff at (217) 333-7111.

What if I need special accommodation? 

If you need special accommodation because of a disability or medical need, please indicate on your online contract. If you did not indicate this on your contract, please contact us and we will be happy to help. For more information, please visit our ADA/Beckwith page.

How do I choose a Meal Plan?

Students living in the undergraduate residence halls are required to have a meal plan and there are four different Meal Plan options to choose from. With all of the meal plans, you can eat any of the dining locations across campus. Learn about how meal plans work to help you select your plan when completing your online contract. Don't worry - you can change your Meal Plan any time through the first 3 weeks of school in the fall, so you can be sure to find the plan that works for you. 

When do I move in?

In the undergraduate residence halls, freshmen move in August 24, 2017 and returning students move in August 26, 2017. First-year residents of Living-Learning Communities who are attending LLC orientation move in August 22, 2017. For more information about moving in and early arrival options, visit the Move-In pages.

What if I am under 18 years old?

If you are under 18 at the time of starting a residence hall contract, you will be prompted to provide a parent/guardian’s contact information (further instructions will be sent to the parent/guardian). The parent/guardian must complete the required steps in order for you to be able to continue. Students under 18 cannot complete the room selection process without this approval.

Where do I receive my bill?

Your housing charges will be billed to your student account and will appear with tuition and fees at the beginning of each semester. Room changes, printing, and other miscellaneous charges could appear as they are billed each month. It is important to check your student account for any charges each month at https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/Access.

How do I add an authorized contact?

If you wish, you may provide the name of an authorized contact who has permission to speak with the University Housing Information Office staff about your assignment, contract, and Housing-related financial charges. If you are interested, please check the appropriate box in your online contract and fill out the required information.

How does the reciprocal agreement work?

In some cases you may be able to cancel your contract with a private certified housing facility to contract with University Housing or vice versa. The deadline for new students applying to switch for fall semester is August 24, 2017. The reciprocal form is available on the Forms and Documents page.

Welcome to Belmont!  We are excited to have you join us.  Below you will find some information concerning your housing assignment as well as additional resources to help you learn more about Residence Life at Belmont.

Your Housing Assignment

How assignments are made:

1.  Once you have been officially accepted to the university, the Admissions office will send you an email explaining how to pay your Enrollment deposit.  

2.  After the Enrollment deposit is received, you will automatically receive an email explaining how to apply for housing through your myBelmont account using the online Housing Application.

3.  Assignments are made based on the date the housing application is received and the room style preferences indicated on the form.  All assignments are contingent on space availability.  Special attention is given to preferences and requests; however, no assignment based solely on the the resident's request is guaranteed.

4.  All roommate requests must be mutual and received by the Residence Life office by May 1.  You may submit these through the online housing application.

5.  From the $250 enrollment deposit, $100 will be deducted to serve as a non-refundable housing application fee.

Getting your assignment: 

Assignments for the Fall semester are usually completed during the first week of June.  Assignments for the Spring semester are usually completed during the first week of December.  Please note that if your application is received after these dates, you will receive your assignment at a later date.

You can see your assignment and roommate information, including their address, telephone, and Belmont email, by logging onto your MyBelmont account and click on My Housing and Dining. You will be getting additional mailings from us before you arrive; including dining information, offers from some of our campus partners about products like linens and personal property insurance, as well as instructions about Move-In Day.

Housing Rates

The Office of Student Financial Services provides a listing of pricing.  This can be found at on the cost estimators page. 


Handbook for Residential Living (PDF Download) | View Online

Additionally, the Handbook for Residential Living provides information about Residence Life, our policies, and how to navigate living on campus.  Also includes a helpful guide for students about living on campus, services offered by the university, and a complete description of Belmont University's expectations and policies. 

Places to Go in Nashville - a helpful map of popular stores students might need (Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Target, Walmart, etc.). Please contact individual establishments for up-to-date hours and availability. 

University Bruin Guide


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *